Lo-Fidelity soars with new album

With its debut album, How to Operate With a Blown Mind (Skint), Britain’s Lo-Fidelity All Stars meld rock and dance into an exciting hybrid of dance songs that will please club kids to no end.

Combining rock and dance music is nothing new for British bands. Groups such as Primal Scream did it long before the All Stars came around. But while Primal Scream’s Screamadelica paints an idyllic drugged-out bliss, How to Operate With a Blown Mind is more like a heroin run through dark city streets.

Vocalist Wrekked Train opens the album with an insane rant in a thuggish British accent on “Warming Up The Brain Farm.” This spoken word passage is one of many scattered throughout the album, and while they make absolutely no sense, they still are oddly compelling.

Then the beats kick in. Fans of big-beat groups such as the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim will be familiar with the pounding bass. However, unlike those groups that rely on samplers and sequencers, the All-Stars do all of this completely live.

The songs vary from “Kool Roc Bass,” which evokes scenes from Trainspotting, to the modern disco track “Blisters On My Brain.” Listening to the album, it’s nearly impossible to keep your head from nodding or your feet from tapping to the beat.

The album also has slower, more ambient-mood songs such as the title track or the haunting “When Will I Get Out of Jail.” These slower, darker tracks provide a nice contrast to the harder dance songs. The only one that falters is “I Used to Fall in Love,” in which Wrekked Train’s slurred vocals become grating.

This album offers something for everyone. Rock fans will love the loud distorted guitars; techno fans will love the danceable beats; mellow, laid-back fans will like the trippier ambient songs. Usually albums that try to be all things for all people fail on every level. Not this time. With their debut, Lo-Fidelity All Stars prove to be a band to keep an eye and an ear on.