200 students make PB&Js for homeless

GW students got sticky making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in their pajamas for a good cause Thursday night at the third annual “Pajama Jammy Jam” at J Street.

photo

About 200 students made sandwiches for the homeless while listening to the live music of Hot Honey Magnet, a local band.

Courtney From and Joanna Biegler, the event’s co-chairs, said they were thrilled with the success of the event.

“It makes me so happy to get GW students active for a good cause while getting covered in peanut butter and jelly,” From said.

photo

“We don’t get to do as much hands-on work for the community,” Biegler said. “The Jammy Jam gets students directly involved.”

The 1,520 sandwiches that were made Thursday, slightly less than the group’s original goal of 2,000, will be donated to D.C. Central Kitchen, which will distribute them through their organizations.

The event was sponsored by Jews Undertaking Major Programming, the Student Association, Program Board and Thurston Hall Council.

JUMP, the main sponsor of the event, is an organization that creates social programming for Hillel and the University community, said JUMP co-chair Aly Rappaport.

“JUMP is like the Program Board for Hillel,” she said.

JUMP has sponsored charity social functions in the past. Last semester, students gambled to raise money for Jews in the former Soviet Union at “Casino Night.” The group also sponsored a coffee house and the “Chaiwaiian Luau” this semester.

“While the original mission of JUMP was to organize social events, JUMP began blending community service with socializing,” Rappaport said.

From and Biegler said they want to plan more events like the Jammy Jam in the future. From said she hopes to work with a larger staff next time.

“As long as I have time, I will keep doing events like this,” From said.

Students called the event “worthwhile” and said they also hoped to participate in similar events in the future.

“This event serves as a great way for students at GW to take active roles in the daily life of their neighbors – the fellow citizens of D.C.,” said freshman Matt Kernkraut.

Volunteers said they were excited to get down and dirty to help the homeless.

“I really like to give back to the community,” said freshman Rachel Field. “(The Jammy Jam) is a great event to build community spirit by combining all these organizations.”

“I am really glad to get involved to help the less fortunate, even if I get my fingers all sticky,” Matt Patashnick said.