Sports Briefs

Champney to compete at NCAAs

GW swimmer Tim Champney qualified for the NCAA Division I Swimming Championships to be held March 25-27 in Indianapolis, Ind.

The junior, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Most Outstanding Performer, is the first male swimmer in GW history to reach the NCAAs. He will compete in the 100-yard and 200-yard backstrokes. He is ranked 19th in the nation in the 100-yard with a time of :48.40 and 36th in the nation in the 200-yard with a time of 1:47.09.

GW joins just 49 other Division I schools at the NCAA Championships.

Gomez named all-American

Senior Noelia Gomez was named a Kodak District All-American March 17, which means she will be on the national Kodak All-America ballot.

If she is not selected, she will be named an honorable mention all-American. It will be the second time Gomez has earned that honor and the fifth consecutive year that the Colonial women have had at least an honorable mention all-American.

Gomez, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year, led GW in scoring this season with 19.6 points per game. She also was second in the A-10 and 33rd in the nation in scoring. She scored 1,600 career points at GW and her scoring average of 18.0 ppg is the best in GW history.

Mescheriakov earns academic honor

The College Sports Information Directors of America named GW senior forward Yegor Mescheriakov to the GTE Academic All-America University Division Men’s Basketball Team March 16.

It is the third time in as many years that a Colonial has earned the award. Former center Alexander Koul was named to the team the two previous years.

Mescheriakov is pursuing a master’s degree at GW’s School of Business and Public Management and maintains a 3.56 cumulative grade point average.

Mescheriakov, a John Wooden Award nominee and a 1999 Atlantic 10 All-Conference second teamer, averaged 17.6 points per game and 6.8 rebounds per game. He helped lead GW to a 20-9 record, an Atlantic 10 West Division title and an NCAA Tournament appearance.

The Minsk, Belarus, native finished his GW career seventh on the all-time scoring list with 1,645 points.

-Dustin Gouker