Colonials stumble to four straight losses

After sweeping a three-game series from Fairfield University, the GW baseball team lost all four of its games during spring break.

Two other games against the colleges of William & Mary and Holy Cross were canceled.

GW was outscored 35-11 in the four losses.

The Colonials (6-11) travel to George Mason University Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. and to the U.S. Naval Academy Wednesday at 3 p.m.

JMU 8, GW 5

The Colonials led midway through the game before losing the lead for good in a three-run fifth inning by James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., Saturday.

Sophomore Tony Moore hit a two-run double off GW starter Adam Belicic to tie the game at five in the sixth inning before a wild pitch by Belicic scored Moore, which turned out to be the game-winning run.

The Monarchs tacked on two insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh, as reliever Ryan New pitched 3 1/3 innings for the win, giving up no runs and just one hit. The win was JMU’s fourth straight and it was GW’s fourth consecutive loss.

The Colonials’ five errors hurt them as just four of the eight runs surrendered by Belicic (3-3) were earned.

GW took a 5-3 lead in the top of the sixth on RBI-singles by Rob Ingwer and Mike Roberts, but New stopped the GW rally with a strikeout.

Roberts and Joe Beichert each had a pair of hits for GW.

Washington 9, GW 3

The University of Washington defeated GW handily in the second game of a doubleheader March 14 at Husky Ballpark in Seattle.

Ari Zagaris (1-3) gave up nine runs – eight earned – on 11 hits in defeat. For the Colonials, Joe Beichert nailed a solo home run and tallied a pair of RBIs while Mike Roberts went 2-for-4.

With the sweep, Washington improved to 11-4 on the season.

Washington 9, GW 0

GW was shut out in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader against the Huskies.

Colonial starter Tom Baginski (1-3) struck out seven while allowing two runs on six hits and four walks in six innings of work.

GW’s Ryan Dacey went 2-for-4 and Tony Brown went 2-for-3. GW managed a total of 12 hits in the doubleheader.

Washington 9, GW 3

In the series opener, Washington outhit GW 7-6 but capitalized on the eight walks issued by Colonial pitching to gain the victory.

Belicic (3-2) gave up six runs on six hits and four walks in six innings for GW. Dacey went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Colonials.