Colonials complete sweep of Fairfield

GW completed a three-game sweep of Fairfield University with a 9-2 victory Monday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

Tom Baginski struck out 13 batters in eight innings for the Colonials (6-7). The hurler gave up two runs – only one earned – on four hits, while the Colonials’ offense provided nine runs on 11 hits to sink the Stags.

GW had a balanced offensive attack, with eight players tallying hits. Ryan Dacey, Mike Basset and Chris Matarese knocked in two runs apiece while Joe Beichert’s solo home run was the only dinger of the contest. Dacey and Matarese each doubled for the Colonials.

Fairfield grabbed a 2-1 lead in the top of the fifth inning before GW came back with two runs in the fifth inning and a five-run sixth inning to take an 8-2 advantage. The Colonials added an insurance run in the eighth and relief pitcher Chris Worth came in to strike out a pair of Stags in the top of the ninth.

Adam Belicic took Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week honors for his 13-strike out, complete-game one-hitter in GW’s 13-1 victory over Fairfield in the first game of Sunday’s double-header.

GW’s scheduled Tuesday game against the University of Maryland was canceled because of snow and has been rescheduled for May 3 at Barcroft Park.

GW travels to the University of Washington for a three-game series Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Colonials return to Barcroft Park March 17 to face the College of William and Mary at 2 p.m.