Students elect four new MCGB members

Students elected two write-in candidates to the five-member Marvin Center Governing Board during last week’s elections.

Peter Frost, Andy Malowitz, Mark Richman and Tony Sayegh were elected to the MCGB, but only Malowitz and Richman appeared on the ballot. Sayegh, who will fill the graduate student position, and Frost were elected as write-in candidates.

Mike Petron, current MCGB chair, was re-elected as a write-in candidate. He said he did not run as an official candidate because he was sick during the campaign’s early stages.

Richman won a seat on the MCGB with 760 votes.

“I’d like to review the scheduling policies, especially concerning the fourth-floor rooms,” said Richman, a junior international affairs major. “I’d like to fix things to make it easier for student groups to access the Marvin Center.”

Malowitz, who won a seat with 779 votes, said, “we can make this the most cohesive board the Marvin Center has ever had. We need to make sure that every student group that needs office space gets it next year.”

Frost, who began his campaign two days before the final ballots were cast, said he is confident with his knowledge of the Marvin Center and said

he will have a strong student voice in policy-making.

“One of the things I would like for (the MCGB) to do is to improve (the Marvin Center’s) accessibility to students by keeping it up and running longer,” Frost said.

Petron, who will serve on the MCGB for a fourth consecutive year, stressed the need for the board to make a smooth transition to the “new fourth floor” this summer.

“I’m excited and very happy that I get to continue something I’ve worked hard at for three years,” Petron said. “One of my primary concerns is what is going to happen this summer.”

“Mike Petron and the other candidates are very qualified,” said Steve Cady, whose write-in campaign failed. “I’m especially glad that Mike is returning to the board.”

The members of the 1999-2000 MCGB expressed their anticipation to begin work and address pressing renovation issues.

“I really look forward to working with them and working hard with them,” Malowitz said of his peers on the board.

Sayegh was unavailable for comment.