News Briefs

ESIA schedules alternate graduation reception Saturday

Elliott School of International Affairs decided Friday to hold an alternate reception May 15 for family and friends of ESIA students who are unable to attend the school’s May 14 graduation ceremony.

The alternate reception is a response to student protest about the scheduling of the school’s graduation ceremony this year, traditionally held on a Saturdays.

“The reception is to provide an opportunity for family and friends who could not make it to the Friday events,” said Edward McCord, ESIA associate dean.

McCord stressed “that any reception would not be a second graduation ceremony and that obviously all students would still be encouraged to attend the Friday events.”

He said the Saturday reception will be a smaller event in Stuart Hall, “without all of the pomp and circumstance of the Friday events.”

“We have not worked out any of the details yet,” McCord said. “We are going to wait about a week or so to see what the student response will be and will try to plan the nature of the event around the size and nature of the student response.”

-Thomas Sisk

Alpha Phi Omega rush activities promote community service

Crayons and cheerful greetings brought blue and yellow paper to life Thursday night at an Alpha Phi Omega-sponsored card-making workshop.

“Cookies, Coffee and Crayola” was part of the fraternity’s spring rush week activities. The cards will be given to patients at the Children’s Hospital in Washington, D.C.

Alpha Phi Omega is one of the largest Greek-letter coed organizations with 16,000 members nationwide.

“We are really looking for new members,” co-president Tara Kelly said. “Anybody is welcome to join, including graduate students.”

The rush week will continue Friday with bowling in the Marvin Center. An information session was held last Tuesday and an induction ceremony will be held Monday. Alpha Phi Omega holds a rush each semester.

“Our emphasis is brotherhood through service,” Kelly said.

To become a member, students must attend two events during the rush and perform three service projects by the end of the semester. The group requires a $40 pledge fee and attendance at weekly meetings.

Co-president Sara Glodowski said the fraternity’s three pillars are leadership, friendship and service.

-Jessica Bradley