SPADE highlights talents of GW students in one-time performance

Student Performance Art and Dance Event (SPADE) will take place in the Dorothy Betts Theatre Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The show is produced and performed entirely by students.

This year’s SPADE will feature four dance pieces and two performance art pieces. The performance art pieces combine song, dance and drama. The show’s only theme is that it is an all-student production. Every aspect of the show down to the lighting rests in the hands of the students.

The students involved with SPADE represent diverse backgrounds, including Presidential Arts Scholars, dance majors and minors, and theatre majors and minors. Performing duets in the show will be Annie Kramlinger and Michael Andrews; Andrea Stiteler and Anthony Thomas; Lauren Hall and Nicholas Hoover. Lauren Sharp, Diedre MacDiarmid and Michelle Goldsmith will appear together in a piece. Jenna Harju will give the only solo performance of the evening.

“It’s intended to allow student choreography to be displayed on the Dorothy Betts stage,” said Harju, performer and technical director of SPADE. She also said SPADE is an opportunity for those involved “to share our artistic expressions and provide a night of fun for everybody.”

A yearly event, SPADE is performed on one night during the spring semester. Tickets for SPADE cost $4.

-Kelly Visone contributed to this report.