Rogers, Gomez named the best in A-10

GW came away with the Atlantic 10’s highest individual men’s and women’s basketball awards, both released in the last week.

The A-10 named both Shawnta Rogers and Noelia Gomez conference Players of the Year Feb. 25 and March 2, respectively.

Rogers is the first player ever to lead the A-10 in scoring, assists and steals. The 5-4 point guard averaged 20.1 points, 6.9 assists and 3.7 steals per game. Named A-10 Player of the Week four times this season, Rogers might have nailed down player of the year honors with his buzzer-beating shot against Xavier Saturday, his third game-winner of the season.

Rogers ranks first all-time at GW with 618 assists and sixth in scoring with 1,623 career points.

Gomez ranked second in the A-10 and 33rd nationally in scoring with 19.7 points per game. The senior forward took A-10 Player of the Week honors four times on the season. Gomez scored more than 20 points in 14 games this season and led the Colonial women in scoring in 18 of 26 games this season.

Gomez ranks sixth in GW women’s history with 1,600 points.

In Gomez’s two NCAA Tournament appearances with the Colonial women, the team went 4-2. This season GW is on the bubble with a 19-9 record and a 12-4 conference mark. With a Ratings Power Index of 51 and a schedule strength of 60, the Colonial women are borderline for the tournament.

Last year the Colonial women received an at-large bid as a No. 10 seed and defeated seventh-seeded Georgia 74-72.