McCalla sets school record in GW loss

The GW gymnastics team lost to Towson University for the second time this season, falling to the Tigers 194.475-194.175, but posted the second-best score in school history.

The Colonial women fell just short of beating the school record they set Feb. 25 against James Madison University, when they scored 194.350.

“I’m just really happy with my team, completely,” GW head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said. “I mean we just keep getting better and better.”

GW freshman Devin McCalla won the all-around competition by breaking the school record for the second time this season with a score of 39.300. She won the floor exercise and the uneven parallel bars with scores of 9.900.

Jessica Mantak came in second on the bars with a score of 9.875, the rest of the Colonial women struggled somewhat on the bars one meet after setting the school record in that event against JMU.

“You could see bars was a little rough spot tonight, we did pretty much conquer them in the last meet,” Foster-Cunningham said. “So you take a little step forward and a half a step back, and we’re going have to work hard on it in practice.”

GW swept the first four spots in the floor exercise, with Darden Wilee, Erica Lewy and Stephanie Goldsmith finishing behind McCalla.

The Colonial women didn’t win the balance beam, but they took second through fourth places. Kelley Banks finished second with a score of 9.800, a personal best, followed by Lewey and Mantak.

More important than winning or losing, GW’s high score will help the Colonial women when it comes time for qualifying for the NCAA Regionals.

“It’s not a win, but it’s what we need,” Foster-Cunningham said.

The Colonial women compete at West Virginia University, the 12th-ranked team in the country, Saturday at 7 p.m.