Colonials edge UMBC for victory, end five-game skid

After losing five games in a row, the GW baseball team bounced back to beat winless University of Maryland-Baltimore County 4-3 Wednesday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

“I was glad to see us get into a one-run game and pull it out,” GW head coach Tom Walter said. “It’s good for our confidence.”

Confidence is what GW needed after being soundly swept by the University of South Carolina and beaten badly by Coastal Carolina University in two out of three.

Sophomore Dan Rouhier got a two-out RBI single in the sixth inning to break a 2-2 and give GW the lead for good. Ryan Dacey tacked on another run with an RBI double in the seventh inning to make the score 4-2. The Retrievers (0-5) scored a single run in the eighth inning but could not come back all the way.

Sophomore Bryan Beggs got the win for GW (3-7), giving up just two runs in seven innings. Tom Baginski struck out the side in the top of the ninth to earn his first save of the year.

Despite GW’s losing record, Walter said the efforts of his starters have been a bright spot.

“Our starting pitching has been good all year,” he said. “Our starters have kept us in a lot of games.”

After a first-inning home run by GW senior Mike Roberts, Beggs gave up a pair of runs in the second to give the Retrievers the lead. But in the sixth inning, GW’s Joe Beichert tied the game on an RBI double before Rouhier’s game-winning hit.

The Colonials travel to Coppin State University Thursday at 3 p.m. before a weekend series with Fairfield University. GW swept a series with Fairfield last season.

“We’re in a stretch where we’ve got a chance to win four or five games in a row,” Walter said. “It’ll be good for us to get some wins.”