Meisner for president – Staff editorial

This year’s campaign for Student Association president highlights several consistent themes: better communication, student advocacy, increased accountability. The candidates for the SA’s top spot include two current senators, an SA insider running as an outsider and a grassroots activist with limited experience. From this group of four students with similar ideas and different levels of experience, Phil Meisner is the best choice.

Meisner has represented Elliott School undergraduates in the Senate this year. Meisner’s plan to revamp academic advising, which would have students and professors in each department help freshmen decide on classes and careers, is a bold idea. And his desire to expand the SA’s test file and put it online is sure to benefit students. Meisner realizes what is within the SA’s reach and what is fantasy. His goals are ambitious but tangible.

After several run-ins with the Joint Elections Committee about his adherence to JEC policies, Meisner was removed from the ballot Sunday night along with executive vice presidential candidate Cat Sadler and three Senate candidates. But student voters would be wise to take the time to write Meisner in for the SA’s highest office.

The other presidential candidates have some interesting ideas of their own. Ed Meinert’s council of student group presidents is creative and potentially productive, but is also unrealistic. Much of Alexis Rice’s platform focuses on larger policy issues, which the SA frequently has tried to address with little success.

Paul Prados’ plan to set up tables around campus to canvass students’ comments and complaints goes to the heart of why the SA exists. He has what should be a simple position, but it is often lost on SA members: Actively search out student input. Prados is a fresh candidate in the repetitious world of SA elections. How many candidates sit on the Quad day after day to survey student opinion? Prados has.

But if Prados cares so much for the well-being of students, why is this his first foray into campus life? Electing an SA outsider is an appealing notion, but Prados’ lack of experience is worrisome.

Meisner is the only candidate who can avoid the sort of “pie in the sky” plans that consume huge amounts of time and effort with no tangible results – a trap the SA falls into year after year. Meisner is the best candidate for the job.