Gamecocks sweep series with Colonials

The GW baseball team played its third series of the season this weekend against a southern university and ended up suffering its first sweep.

GW was held to just two runs in the first two games against the University of South Carolina (8-3) at Sarge Frye Field in Columbia, S.C., before exploding for 10 runs in the third game in a losing cause.

The Colonials (2-7) will play their first home game of the season Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County at Barcroft Park.

South Carolina 15, GW 10

GW scored three runs in the first inning on a three-run home run by Joe Beichert in the final game of the series Sunday.

But the Gamecocks answered with four in the bottom of that inning and never trailed again to earn the win and the sweep.

South Carolina held GW scoreless in the second and third innings while tacking on three more runs for a 7-3 advantage.

The Gamecocks got to starter Tom Baginski (0-2) for nine runs, all of them earned, on 13 hits and chased him after five innings.

Beichert provided much of the offense for GW, hitting two three-run homers in the game, his fifth and sixth of the season. Leftfielder Mike Bassett and shortstop Ryan Dacey both had three hits for the Colonials.

South Carolina 9, GW 2

GW outhit the Gamecocks, nine to eight, but all nine hits were singles as GW lost its second straight game to South Carolina Saturday.

The Colonials scored single runs in both the fourth and sixth innings to cut the Gamecock lead to 3-2. That was as close as GW would get, however, as South Carolina scored two runs in the bottom of the sixth and four more in the seventh to put the game away.

Dacey went 4-for-4 for GW, while Rob Ingwer added two hits and scored a pair of runs.

Ari Zagaris (0-2) started for the Colonials and allowed six earned runs in six-and-a-third innings. Mike O’Connor allowed two runs in two-thirds of an inning, while Chris Worth finished up with a scoreless eighth.

South Carolina 6, GW 0

GW managed only three hits against sophomore right-hander Kip Bouknight in the opener of a three-game series against the Gamecocks Friday.

Bouknight’s complete game shutout lowered his earned run average to 1.00, and he has pitched 20 consecutive scoreless innings.

Adam Belicic (2-1) pitched seven strong innings for the Colonials, allowing three earned runs on five hits. He struck out five but also walked six.

GW’s only hits came off the bats of Dacey, Ingwer and third baseman Matt Krimmel.