Calling all Dorothys

Seventeen-year-old Jessica Grov? has played everyone’s favorite Kansan on The Wizard of Oz tour for three years, and she’s decided it’s time to pass the ruby slippers.

So the tour is holding a national search for a new Dorothy in cities around the nation this spring.

Auditions begin at Washington’s National Theatre March 9 and will continue in Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Des Moines, New York, Los Angeles and Tempe, Ariz. At least one young actress will be chosen in each city and will fly to New York this summer for final auditions.

Grov?, a native of Columbus, Ohio, originated the role of Dorothy in the 1997 New York production, which starred Roseanne as the Wicked Witch of the West (typecasting?). But now she’s decided there’s no place like home.

“I have truly loved my journey with this production,” Grov? said in a press release. “The role of Dorothy is every young actress’ dream come true, as it was mine.

“I have portrayed her for two years and I am now looking forward to furthering my acting career and exploring film and recording opportunities,” she said.

Auditions are open to girls 12-18 and are limited to the first 300 actresses to register by March 7. Check-in begins at 9 a.m. March 9.

Aspirants will be asked to sing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

Ruby slippers will be provided.

-Becky Neilson