News Briefs

Thurston Hall CFs to show their talent

Thurston Hall community facilitators are planning a talent show for 6 p.m. Friday in the Mitchell Hall theater.

Senior CF Brigget Smith said the CFs will perform “our spin on Thurston myths.”

Student Association candidates Phil Meisner and Cat Sadler also will presenr an act, Smith said.

She said other students will sing, lip sync and perform “full-monty” strip shows.

Smith said she wanted to organize a talent show for a long time. She said she thought it would be a nice way to build a sense of community.

“I think it’s a fun thing to do on a Friday night,” Smith said.

Smith said students who wish to attend will be charged $1, or they must bring a canned good, all of which will be donated to charity.

-Francesca Di Meglio

ACLU supports student challenge to cohabitation policy

The American Civil Liberties Union agreed last week to support and advise two GW freshmen challenging the University’s cohabitation policy.

Crawford Hall residents Clark Harding and Kathy Rooney are challenging the University’s single-sex housing policy. They presented President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg with a letter stating their cause in a 10-minute session during his open office hours Wednesday afternoon.

“There’s a possibility (the ACLU) might take (our case) on,” Rooney said. “They want us to work with the University and go through the administrative channels required.”

The ACLU also wrote a “strong letter” to Mike Walker, senior assistant dean of students, Rooney said. Walker was unavailable for comment.

GW Law School Professor John F. Banzhaf III is also advising the pair.

Rooney said she hopes to circulate a petition and initiate a letter-writing campaign. Letters would be sent to both parents and students to field their views on the policy.

At Saturday’s housing lottery, Harding and Rooney chose rooms a floor apart in Francis Scott Key Hall. The two are living closer than they do now, but Rooney said she still is not satisfied.

“That is not quite good enough,” Rooney said. “This right (of cohabitation) needs to be addressed.”

-Stacey Felsen

Computers in `aSNAP’ at Gelman Library

Students now can access the Internet on laptop computers in “aSNAP” at Gelman Library.

In a joint project between the Computer Information Resource Center and Gelman, 16 authenticated Scholar’s Network Access Ports were installed into the study lounge and the stacks on the fifth floor of Gelman Library.

The project was kicked off at a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday, where Gelman challenged anyone with a laptop computer to “stump aSNAP.” The first person who could not successfully connect their computer to the Internet using aSNAP would win a PALM III computer.

Every computer at the event was connected to the Internet, even a Chinese version of Windows95, and the PALM III computer entered into a raffle.

aSNAP allows students to use their laptop computers to e-mail, use Aladin or surf the World Wide Web.

To use aSNAP, students must have a laptop computer with Windows95, 98 or Macintosh OS 7 or 8, a built-in Ethernet port or network card, Ethernet cable and a GWIS2 account.

Students also may check out laptop computers at the media resource desk on the lower level, Gelman Student Liaison Kevin Groves said.

“This is the beginning of a technology that will become more widespread on campus,” Groves said.

-Margaret Magee