Champney named A-10 MVP, again

When asked how he felt after putting the final touches on his record-breaking swims at this past weekend’s A-10 Championships, junior Tim Champney replied that he was just glad that the races were over.

“I would have liked to have gone a little faster,” Champney said. “But I won’t complain because they are my best times.”

Fast is what Champney excelled at, breaking three records last weekend. He set two conference records for the 100-yard backstroke (:48.40) and the 200-yard backstroke (1:47.09). Champney also helped set a record, swimming the first leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay.

In addition to having some of the best swims of his career, Champney was named the A-10 Performer of the Year, the second time he has received that award. He also won the honor in 1996-’97.

GW head coach Dan Rhinehart said the award spoke not only of Champney’s talent as an athlete but helps the team as a whole.

“To have an athlete like that on the program helps to bring the kids up with him,” Rhinehart said. But Champney denied that he was the best performer at the A-10 meet.

“I don’t think that you can nail down the competition to one performer,” he said. “So many could have gotten it, others had better performances at the meet.”

Last weekend’s swims have placed Champney in consideration to be invited to participate in the NCAA Championships. To participate in the NCAAs, a swimmer needs to have one of the top times in the nation.

“I have a better shot than last year. My chances are good, but I still need to wait for the other conferences to finish,” Champney said.

While Champney is modest about his accomplishments, Rhinehart said Champney deserves and earns all his success.

“Tim is a very talented athlete who works hard,” Rhinehart said. “A lot of long, hard work, combined with the right mental attitude and rest, puts together the kind of results that you want.”