GW puts forth solid efforts, but no wins

The GW gymnastics team put together two solid efforts last week but failed to come away with a victory.

The Colonial women finished second out of five teams at the Towson University Invitational in Towson, Md., Sunday with a score of 192.175. The host Tigers won the meet for the 14th straight year with a total of 194.425.

GW won just one event as Devin McCalla (9.850) and Darden Wilee (9.825) finished first and second on the uneven parallel bars. Wilee finished fourth in the all-around, while McCalla finished fifth. Jessica Mantak finished second on the balance beam, while Wilee did the same on the floor exercise.

GW ran into another tough adversary Wednesday, losing 194.600-192.175 at the University of Maryland.

In the all-around competition, McCalla placed second with a score of 39.125, a new school record, but it was not good enough to beat Maryland’s Laura Moon, who came in first with a score of 39.350.

The Colonials finished first in only one of the events, the balance beam. McCalla took first on the apparatus with a score of 9.925. Mantak came in third on the beam for GW with a score of 9.850. The Colonial women’s total of 49.075 on the beam was a positive because that is an event that has given them trouble so far this season. It is also the highest team score in that event in GW history.

Maryland dominated GW on the vault and bars, where the Colonial women were hurt by captain Meena Lakdawala’s score of 8.750. GW’s best finish was fourth on the bars and fifth on the vault, each by McCalla. She also posted the best finish on the floor exercise with a score of 9.800, earning her a third-place finish.

GW returns to the Smith Center Thursday to take on James Madison University at 7:30 p.m.