Colonials drop weekend series

GW started a three-game series with Coastal Carolina University this weekend by thrashing the Chanticleers in Conway, S.C.

But Coastal Carolina bounced back to handily defeat GW twice and take the series.

The Chanticleers’ 7-2 start is their best in 11 years.

The Colonials (2-4) travel to the University of South Carolina next weekend for a three-game series.

Coastal Carolina 17, GW 6

GW allowed Coastal Carolina to score six runs in the first inning and couldn’t recover in losing a lopsided game.

GW starter Tom Baginski gave up four hits and two walks in the first inning, but GW also committed one of its five errors in the inning.

Baginski (0-1) was shelled by the Chanticleers, giving up 11 runs, eight of them earned, on 10 hits in five innings of work.

Freshman Matt Krimmel was a bright spot for the Colonials in the loss, going 3 for 4 with a double and a run batted in. Clean-up hitter Joe Beichert connected for his second home run of the series.

Coastal Carolina 9, GW 1

The Chanticleers scored runs in four of the first five innings before the Colonials made it on to the scoreboard in the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.Trailing 5-0, GW scored its lone run in the top of the sixth inning, but couldn’t manage any more offense. Rob Ingwer went 2 for 4 and was the only Colonial with more than one hit.

The Chanticleers’ Rett Johnson went the distance in the win, holding GW to just seven hits, while Ari Zagaris (0-1) took the loss.

GW 18, Coastal Carolina 5

The Colonials scored early and often in the first game of the series, building an 8-0 lead after three innings Saturday.

Beichert hit a grand slam in the first inning to give GW a 4-0 lead, as the Colonials went on to score 18 runs on 14 hits. Ingwer (1 for 4), Ryan Dacey (2 for 4) and Dan Rouhier (2 for 5) all homered, as Krimmel had three hits for GW.

GW padded its 11-5 lead in the top of the ninth with seven runs.

Adam Belicic (2-0) pitched six innings and gave up just two earned runs on six hits. He remains the only Colonial pitcher to earn a win this season.