Sports Briefs

Hershey Wildcats draft Ben Ferry

The Hershey Wildcats drafted former GW men’s soccer player Ben Ferry in the second round (45th overall) of the A-League of United Soccer Leagues’ college draft Sunday.

Hershey is affiliated with both D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards of Major League Soccer. One step below MLS, the A-League is the highest of three levels of minor league soccer.

Ferry is GW’s all-time assists leader with 45.-Rich Murphy

Rogers named A-10 Player of the Week, again

GW senior point guard Shawnta Rogers was named the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week Feb. 14, the fourth time he has won that award this season.

He won the award for his performance in GW’s 94-70 win over St. Joseph’s Friday. In that game, he scored 26 points, shot 5-of-6 from beyond the three-point arc, dished out eight assists, made six steals and grabbed four rebounds.

He also had a solid game against Dayton, although that performance did not figure into this week’s award. In that victory, he made four steals, his 83rd steal of the season, which eclipsed GW’s single-season record of 82 set by Ellis McKennie in the 1989-90 season.

Rogers is already the GW career leader in assists and steals, and before the game with UMass, he was seventh on GW’s career scoring list with 1,585 points. Before the game he also led the A-10 in scoring (22.0 points per game), assists (6.9 assists per game) and steals (3.8 steals per game).

-Dustin Gouker

McCalla earns conference honor for third time

GW freshman gymnast Devin McCalla has been named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week for the third time this season.

She broke the school record for all-around score with a 39.075 at the North Carolina State University Hearts Invitational Feb. 12. She beat the old record of 39.050 set by 1997 Performer of the Year Alexis Hrynko. Her all-around score was also the best in the conference so far this season.

She was also GW’s highest finisher in all four events at the invitational and she posted season-highs on the vault (9.750) and the balance beam (9.850).

-Dustin Gouker