News Briefs

Elliott School snags admiral as commencement speaker

GW alumnus Adm. Joseph W. Prueher will speak at the Elliott School of International Affairs 1999 Commencement ceremony May 14, as the school celebrates 100 years of international affairs education.

“Adm. Prueher is one of our most distinguished alumni and he is an outstanding role model and an inspiration to us all,” said ESIA Dean Harry Harding in a press release.

Prueher is the 17th U.S. Naval Officer to hold the position of Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Command (USPACOM), Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii. He is the senior U.S. military commander in the Pacific and Indian oceans and leads the largest of the unified commands, directing troops in all branches of the military in operations across more than 50 percent of the Earth’s surface, according to a release.

Harding called Prueher “one of the most knowledgeable and interesting persons in the military today.”

“This next year should be especially challenging owing to many factors,” Prueher said in a release. “The graduates, like all before them, have some fascinating times ahead.”

Prueher will speak about his experience in the military and his thoughts on how students will be impacted in the future.

The ceremony will be held at 3 p.m. in the Smith Center.

-Kathryn Maese

ESIA sponsors series on business in Asia

The Elliott School of International Affairs and GW’s Virginia campus are working with the Greater Washington Board of Trade to hold a three-part seminar about “Business Opportunities in China, Singapore and Taiwan: What Technology Companies Need to Know” for technology and telecommunication companies.

“The overall series will focus on the political and economic climate for doing business in these countries, as well as regulatory, legal and financial issues,” according to an University press release.

Speakers will include ESIA Dean Harry Harding and business executives with expertise in these countries.

The seminars will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. three times during the spring semester. The first seminar will be Feb. 18 at GW’s Loudoun County, Va., campus. For more information call (703)729-8300.

-Shruti Dat?

Students make Valentines for hospital patients

GW students and Foggy Bottom residents made Valentines Thursday afternoon at the fourth annual “Valentine’s Day Tea” in Lisner Auditorium’s Dimock Gallery.

Sponsored by the Dimock Gallery and Program Board, the event brought volunteers from all around Foggy Bottom to make cards for patients in the GW Hospital and senior citizens in St. Mary’s Court.

“It’s nice to do something for other people once in a while,” sophomore Cindy Roth said.

The GW Bookstore provided arts supplies, while the Dimock Gallery and PB supplied an assortment of pastries and beverages for volunteers.

Dimock Gallery assistant Ana Rossetti and PB Arts Chair Kelly Dunphy planned the event.

Dimock Gallery Director Lenore Miller said she was pleased with the turnout for the event and support from organizations such as the Neighbors Project, the Foggy Bottom Advisory Neighborhood Commission and Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School.

“It is wonderful to have different age groups in the community participating,” Miller said.

“It is a wonderful idea – to move beyond a day for lovers and make it a day of general caring for others,” said graduate student M.X. Mikel.

“It makes me feel a little bit better about the holiday I usually hate,” junior Amanda Uliano said.

-Emily Coghlan