Colonial women take second at N.C. State invitational

The GW gymnastics team placed second in a four-team meet won by host North Carolina State University Friday night at the Hearts Invitational at Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh, N.C.

N.C. State won the overall competition with a score of 194.375, defeating a competitive GW team, which finished with 192.400.

The College of William & Mary placed third with a score of 185.550, and Radford University came in last at 185.150. It was a stronger showing for the GW gymnastics team, which put on a disappointing overall performance a week ago against Massachusetts at the Smith Center.

GW freshman Devin McCalla was the top performer of the invitational. She won the individual all-around with a score of 39.075 and led all scorers on the beam with a score of 9.850. McCalla also tied for first overall on the vault (9.750), placed third on the floor exercise (9.800) and took fourth on the bars (9.675).

McCalla was not the only GW gymnast to impress the crowd of 3,126. Fellow freshmen Jessica Mantak and Kelley Banks both scored 9.750 on the beam. These strong individual performances helped GW win the beam, the only event not won by N.C. State.

GW sophomore Darden Wilee gave a strong performance, bouncing back from a sub-par showing against Massachusetts. She placed third overall, scoring 38.600. The consistent Wilee scored a 9.600 on the vault, a 9.650 on the uneven bars and beam, and a 9.700 on the floor exercise.

Becca Gruber (leg injury) and Stephanie Goldsmith (mononucleosis) missed the competition and will be out indefinitely.

Last season, GW placed last out of three teams at the Hearts Invitational. N.C. State finished first with a score of 194.325, the University of North Carolina placed second at 190.450, while GW came in third with 189.650.

The Colonial women are on the road for their next two meets. GW will be at the University of Maryland Wednesday and at the Towson Invitational Sunday.