V-Day presents opportunity to dabble in aphrodisiacs

Remember elementary school? Life was simple. Valentine’s Day meant making hearts out of construction paper and giving one to every single person in the class. No one was excluded – even the boy who ate glue got a Valentines. Oh, how times have changed.

Welcome to college. Even in high school it was simpler. Options were limited, and you were still a kid. But now you’re in the world of adulthood in which Valentine’s Day means more than flowers and candies. It means romance and – admit it – it means sex. At the very least, it means creating an aura of sexuality.

According to Webster’s dictionary, aphrodisiac means “arousing sexual desire” or “an aphrodisiac drug.” Luckily, aphrodisiacs aren’t limited to the concoctions of an herbalist or a wizard like they were in the past. To set the mood, all you need is a little food, beverage and scent.

Many spices excite the senses. Cloves are one of the most powerful natural aphrodisiacs. Coriander has a euphoric effect, especially on women. A small amount of fennel each day is known to increase sex drive. Saffron stimulates the nerves in the erogenous zones. This spice needs to be taken in limited doses because in excess, it causes uncontrollable laughter. Nutmeg, although not very effective on women, is extremely powerful for men. Rosemary acts on the nerves and stimulates blood circulation throughout the body. Add any of these spices to a dish and wait for the romance to begin.

Some alcoholic beverages are considered aphrodisiacs. White port wine tops the list. It is especially effective when served with strawberries. Spiced wine also works. To create what is known as Hippocras’ aphrodisiac, mix red Burgundy wine with ginger, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla and sugar. The biggest shocker on the list of aphrodisiac? Stout beer.

Scents supposedly can alter moods, so surely they can be sexually arousing. Jasmine is listed as the most arousing of all aromas. Cleopatra used jasmine in her hair to distract Marc Antony from his work. Rose oil does not work as much to arouse sexual passions as it stimulates love. Sandalwood works well as an aphrodisiac because it brings people into the present and heightens perceptions.

With the simplicity of childhood Valentine’s Days long gone, at least aphrodisiacs are easy to come by. Just head to CVS, pick up a package of Valentines for memory’s sake and then head to the 99 cent spices. The rest is up to Cupid.

Source: www.homearts.com and www.santesson.com