High school hoops – Staff editorial

Fans packed the Smith Center Wednesday night to see a great game of basketball. No, neither GW basketball team played. Two of the best local boys’ high school teams, Good Counsel and DeMatha, squared off on GW’s home court for the second time in two months. It was a win-win situation. The game was a great opportunity for basketball fans to see two nationally ranked, District league teams, and a chance for GW to reach out to the local community.

Good Counsel won the teams’ first meeting Jan. 10, buoyed by Chris Monroe’s 32 points. DeMatha won last night’s second meeting, but the atmosphere was just as energized. Not only did fans get to watch a stellar game, but recruiters got to check out some of the up-and-coming talent on the court. For GW, with its U.N.-style basketball teams, it was an opportunity to see some local players who might end up wearing Colonial uniforms. Monroe, for example, has signed a letter of intent to play at GW next season.

GW has made various efforts to help the local community through the years. Some are successful, some just stir more community ire. But by providing the Smith Center as the venue for the game, GW allowed several thousand fans to see a great game, as well as let future hoops stars get a feel for playing on a college court. The University should continue to expand these kinds of efforts. GW interacts with the District in many ways, but few are as visible or as beneficial as last night’s game. GW was a winner no matter which team won.