SAS auctions eligible bachelors

The stage was set in the Marvin Center ballroom for some of GW’s most eligible bachelors to strike a pose, when the South Asian Society hosted its first-ever bachelor auction Thursday night.

photo

The group held the auction to raise money for “Bhangra Blowout,” an annual intercollegiate dance competition sponsored by SAS.

“We have no idea how much money we plan on raising, but (the auction) was done half out of fun and half to raise money,” said master of ceremonies Sushupti Yalamanchili. “It’s also a nice icebreaker for our club.”

“I’m the president of SAS, so I kind of have to do it. But it’s a more interactive way to raise money for Bhangra Blowout ’99,” SAS President Mital Desai said. “I did it just to have fun.”

“I think it’s interesting for guys to put on a show and it’s also kind of fun to see them strut around,” said senior Sapna Pandya, who attended the auction with several friends.

“To be honest, I was kind of forced by the girls in charge to do this,” said bachelor No. 1 Neil Badlani. “They’re good friends of mine.”

Badlani was auctioned for $7, though he said he was worried about meeting the minimum bid of $5.

Escorted to the stage by female SAS members, the 22 bachelors walked the runway while the master of ceremonies read each bachelor’s profile. Some men promised flowers and even money-back guarantees to potential bidders, while others claimed to be named among People magazine’s 50 most beautiful people.

The participating bachelors, who all had dates by the end of the night, helped raise about $600.