Colonial women fall to UMass at home

Massachusetts got to exact a bit of revenge Saturday against the GW women’s gymnastics team, which edged out the Minutewomen for the Atlantic 10 Championship last season.

photo

GW lost its second straight meet at the Smith Center, falling to UMass 191.000 to 190.425.

Despite having the top finisher in all four of the meets’ events, the Colonial women could not claim the team victory.

GW also wasted a fantastic individual effort by freshman Devin McCalla. McCalla led GW by winning the uneven bars, with a season high score of 9.825, as well as the vault, with a score of 9.725. McCalla also had a season-high score of 9.725 on floor exercise, although she placed fourth in the event.

Sophomore Darden Wilee also had a great day for GW, winning the floor exercise with a season-high score of 9.800 and capturing second on the vault with a score of 9.700.

Freshman Jessica Mantak recorded a season-high score as well, finishing tied for first with UMass senior Michelle LoPresti. Both had scores of 9.825.

As a team, GW once again captured the vault and the floor exercise, but had poor showings on the uneven bars and the balance beam. GW had two gymnasts fall on both the bars and the beam and lost on the uneven bars by more than a full point, 47.800 to 46.625.

“Even though we’ve had some poor performances on the balance beam and uneven bars, someone always improves on something in every meet,” sophomore Amanda Forrest said.

The Colonials also were hurt by sophomores Becca Gruber and Darden Wilee’s low scores on the balance beam and the bars. Both scored an 8.350 on the beam.

Gruber’s fall on the beam resulted in a serious injury. A diagnosis has not been made yet, but she may have torn her anterior cruciate ligament, an injury that could sideline her for the rest of the season.

In the all-around, LoPresti captured first with an overall score of 38.625. McCalla came in second with a season-high score of 38.475.

Last season, GW scored a total of 193.950 at the A-10 Championship, two-tenths of a point better than UMass. The Colonial women advanced to the NCAA Regionals instead of the Minutewomen.

The Colonial women head to North Carolina State University Friday to compete in the Sweetheart Invitational. Last season, GW had a poor meet against N.C. State and the University of North Carolina, finishing with a total of 189.650.

GW does not return home until Feb. 25 when it faces James Madison University.