Colonials survive La Salle scare

Shawnta Rogers hit a shot as time expired to secure the GW men’s basketball team a 72-70 win against La Salle at Gola Arena in Philadelphia Wednesday night.

photo

La Salle tied the game at 70 when Rasual Butler hit one of two free throws after GW senior Yegor Mescheriakov committed his fifth personal foul.

The Colonials (14-5, 8-1 Atlantic 10) got the ball back with a little more than 35 seconds left on the clock. Rogers held for the final shot and buried it to give GW the victory.

“We took (La Salle’s) A-game, we were able to withstand it,” GW head coach Tom Penders told WJFK-106.7 immediately after the game.

The Colonials led by five points at 67-62 late in the second half before a pair of free throws by La Salle forward K’Zell Wesson and a basket and a foul shot by Donnie Carr tied the game at 67.

But Rogers hit a basket, was fouled and made a free throw on GW’s next possession to give the Colonials a 70-67 lead. Carr trimmed the lead to one with a pair of foul shots. He then forced Rogers into a five-second call by closely guarding him. Butler’s foul shot then tied the game.

Rogers scored a game-high 29 points and recorded five steals to lead GW, while Mescheriakov registered a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.

The Colonials led 32-31 near the end of the first half, but La Salle (8-12, 4-6 A-10) went on a 7-0 run, started by a Carr three-pointer, to take a 38-32 lead into halftime.

The Colonials stay on the road and play at Virginia Tech Saturday at 2 p.m.