News Briefs

UPD investigates bomb scare in Lisner Hall

Members of the Metropolitan Police Department Explosive Ordinance Unit were called in Saturday night to investigate a suspicious package found in Lisner Hall.

The call was made at 6:51 p.m., and within minutes MPD and University Police officers sealed off and evacuated the block around the building.

Maurina Gonzales, an employee working in adjacent Bell Hall, had stepped out shortly before to feed her parking meter.

“When I came back the police officers told me I couldn’t go back in,” Gonzales said.

MPD officers Joe Dolan, Eddie Lawton and K-9 Fred – the department’s golden retriever – arrived on the scene half an hour later. Dolan and Lawton entered the building, where they located the package and x-rayed it.

The brown, medium-sized cardboard box contained nothing more than envelopes with American University letterhead.

The package was opened and declared safe at 8:15 p.m.

“We receive over 900 calls like these a year,” Dolan said. “Only five or so are actually bombs.”

-Dan Catchpole

Dimock Gallery to present faculty art exhibit

GW’s Dimock Gallery will feature work by nine full-time faculty members in the fine arts and art history departments in the “GW Fine Arts Faculty Exhibition.”

The art exhibit runs from Feb. 11 to March 19, and is free and open to the public. Works on display include paintings, design, photography and ceramic sculpture.

Paintings on exhibit include a retrospective by Frank Wright whose “light-drenched paintings” are inspired by the Chesapeake Bay and Annapolis, Md. William Woodward’s award-winning painting “Avarice” also will be on exhibit, according to a University press release.

Other work includes H.I. Gates’ exploration of Japanese armor in his sculpture “Samurai Mystique.”

Constance Costigan’s multi-layered pencil drawing, “The Vulnerable Edge,” and Thom Brown’s figurative ink drawings also will be on display.

-Kathryn Maese