Arena Stage offers College Night

Students can enjoy live theater for the price of a movie ticket when the Arena Stage holds its College Night Feb. 4.

With a valid college ID, students can purchase tickets for the Arena Stage’s production of “The Women” for $7.50. The admission price also includes post-show entertainment by Millennium Jazz, a jazz trio from the University of Maryland.

Arena Stage hopes to draw students to the theater with inexpensive ticket prices and entertainment after the show.

“The people who are in college now are the theatergoers of tomorrow so it’s important to get them into the theater today,” said Denise Schneider, marketing associate and College Night coordinator for Arena Stage.

“Theater has labored under a preconceived notion that it’s stuffy and old, but it’s really fresh and exciting. It’s not it’s not your grandfather’s theater,” she said.

Set in 1936, “The Women” focuses on the extravagant life of a Park Avenue woman. Her lavish and simple life becomes chaotic with the confusion caused by her busybody friends and cheating husband. The 18-member all-female cast portrays 44 different roles during the show.

Tickets for the performance normally cost between $24 and $45, but on College Night they are only $7.50. Tickets can be purchased at the Arena Stage box office. The performance begins at 8 p.m.

The Arena Stage plans to make College Night a monthly event. The next one will take place March 25 with a showing of “Oak and Ivy.” A poetry event will accompany the performance.