GW teams to face floundering squads

The GW men’s basketball team takes on two teams at the Smith Center this weekend while the women hit the road for a pair of games. None of GW’s four opponents are playing their best basketball.

The men host Duquesne at 7:30 p.m. Thursday before Fordham visits for Homecoming at 2 p.m. Sunday.

The Dukes (4-13, 0-6 Atlantic 10) come into the game sporting a 10-game losing streak, a stretch that dates back to Dec. 5 when they beat Radford University 71-67. All but three of the 10 losses were by double figures.

The losing streak includes all six of Duquesne’s A-10 games so far this season. GW started the Dukes’ conference woes by handing them an 80-54 loss Jan. 2 at the A.J. Palumbo Center.

Fordham (8-9, 2-6 A-10) won its last two, including a win at the Mullins Center against Massachusetts Tuesday. But before that, the Rams lost their first six conference games. Fordham is led by 6-3 sophomore Bevon Robin, who scores 16.3 points per game.

The GW women face La Salle at 7 p.m. Thursday and then play at North Carolina State University Sunday at 2 p.m.

La Salle (10-8, 3-5 A-10) has lost four of its last seven after registering an out-of-conference record of 6-4. GW easily handled La Salle 69-48 at the Smith Center Dec. 12. The Explorers are led by Jennifer Zenszer, who averages 15.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.

The Wolfpack, a 25-7 team a season ago, is just 9-8 this season. N.C. State has lost two of its last three, including a 67-62 loss to nationally ranked Duke University.

-Dustin Gouker