Muslims celebrate end of holy month

Almost 200 students gathered at J Street Friday night to usher in the holiday of Eid, which signals an end to the holy month of Ramadan.

This year, Eid was observed for the first time in J Street along with students from Georgetown and Howard universities, and the University of Maryland.

photo

“Celebrating Eid in J Street gave it a new twist,” said Amina Chaudary, Muslim Students Association vice president. “It was the first time we got to meet a lot of students outside of GW and it was also a chance for them to see what we do for Eid.”

Amid green and white balloons – the colors of Islam – students celebrated by praying, feasting and gathering with friends. Speakers recited passages from the Quran and discussed the meaning of Eid.

Chaudary said Eid, one of two major Islamic holidays, is a time to rejoice after a month of fasting and praying from sunrise to sunset.

“This Eid is a time to lean back and take a sigh of relief because you spent 29 to 30 days of fasting and praying,” Chaudary said. “You hope that God accepts everything you did during Ramadan. Eid is like the Muslim version of graduating boot camp.”

Islamic students said the event is also a new beginning and unites Muslims in the GW community.

“Other than the spiritual and religious aspects, Eid is a time to reflect on your growth during the last month and enjoy a new beginning with family and friends,” said junior Hala Durrah. “It was refreshing to see everyone. I’m glad it turned out the way it did.”

Students also were entertained with skits and original rap songs about Islam.