Gymnasts tumble at GW Invitational, place fourth out of six

The GW women’s gymnastics team came in fourth out of six teams at the GW Invitational at the Smith Center Saturday.

photo

The Colonial women finished with a total score of 186.15, well behind the first-place University of Maryland’s score of 189.825. The Terrapins were followed closely by the University of North Carolina (189.475).

The Colonial women won the invitational last year with a score of 187.075.

GW head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said the meet was like “a sandwich with nothing in the middle,” as the Colonial gymnasts had strong showings in the vault and floor exercise, which were the first and last events, but performed poorly in the two middle events – the uneven parallel bars and balance beam. Only one out of six Colonial gymnasts completed the balance beam routine without falling, and only two of the Colonial women managed not to tumble off the uneven bars, Foster-Cunningham said.

No GW gymnast finished higher than third place in any event, as Maryland gymnasts captured wins in all four individual events.

Junior Erica Lewy placed third on the floor exercise with a score of 9.775 – the highest finish of any Colonial gymnast, while freshman Kelley Banks (9.675) placed fourth on the uneven bars.

Devin McCalla, despite not practicing the whole week because of a sprained ankle, took fifth place in the all-around competition with a score of 37.4. The freshman placed fourth in the floor exercise (9.725), ninth on the uneven bars (9.500) and fifth on the vault (9.625), but was hurt by her performance on the balance beam (8.550). North Carolina sophomore Brooke Wilson took first place in the all around with a score of 38.95.

“It was just one of those days,” Foster-Cunningham said. “Chalk it up to inexperience. It happened early enough in our season that it will serve as a valuable lesson. It was just unfortunate that it had to happen at our invite.”

The Colonial gymnasts will travel to Lexington, Ky., Friday to take on the University of Kentucky and North Carolina State University at 7:30 p.m.