Colonial women roll in A-10

The GW women’s basketball team dominated its two Atlantic 10 opponents last weekend by an average of 40 points to retain a tie for second place in the conference.

photo

The Colonial women (12-5, 6-2 A-10) recorded the biggest win in program history, defeating St. Bonaventure 91-41 at home Sunday. GW crushed Fordham 84-54 on the road Thursday.

The Bonnies managed just 25 percent shooting from the field, victimized by GW’s best defensive performance of the season. GW leads the all-time series against the Bonnies 23-1.

The Colonial women’s old record for biggest margin of victory was 49 points – a 81-32 win over St. Bonaventure in 1992.

Elisa Aguilar averaged 15 points and six assists in both games, while Petra Dubovcova averaged 14 points and seven rebounds.

The Colonial women face La Salle at 7 p.m. Thursday in Philadelphia.

GW 91, St. Bonaventure 41

When Vesna Perak is feeding Mia Chiparus for a layup with four and a half minutes left in the game it probably means one of two things.

Either several Colonial women have been injured, or the game is a blowout. Fortunately for GW, the latter was true against St. Bonaventure as the Colonial women cruised to victory at the Smith Center.

The Colonial women trailed 2-0 until Petra Dubovcova nailed a three-point shot from the left wing on a pass from Marlo Egleston a minute and a half into the first half. GW wouldn’t surrender the lead for the remainder of the game.

Egleston came back at the 12:51 mark in the initial period, taking a pass from Aguilar, and connected from the top of the key on her first three-pointer of the game to give the Colonial women a 12-4 lead.

On GW’s following possession, Egleston took a pass on the left side of the arc and promptly stroked another three-pointer for a 15-4 GW advantage. Egleston would finish with nine points, all in the first half, and a game-high eight assists.

St. Bonaventure (7-11, 1-7 A-10) would manage its best run, an 8-4 spurt between the 7:12 and 4:48 marks in the first half, cutting the margin to 29-16. But GW answered with a 17-8 run to go into halftime leading 46-24.

The second half would be worse for the Bonnies, as the Colonial women outscored them 45-17. Much of the final 20 minutes was played at a low level; the whole GW squad scored, highlighted by Katarina Baskova’s season-high 10 points.

“They’re (St. Bonaventure) a better team than they looked today,” head coach Joe McKeown said. “Our defense took them out today.”

The Colonial women shot 63 percent from three-point range on the contest. Aguilar hit 4-of-7 three-point tries, Egleston hit 2 of 3, and Perak was two for two.

“When you go 10 for 16 from three-point range, you’re going to break games open,” McKeown said.

GW 84, Fordham 54

Kristeena Alexander came off the bench for a team-high 17 points, five assists and three steals in 18 minutes of play as the Colonial women pulled away in the second half to defeat Fordham in the Bronx, N.Y.

GW outscored the Lady Rams (6-12, 2-6 A-10) 51-28 in the second period after going into halftime with a 33-26 advantage. The Colonial women had five players in double figures in scoring and shot 51 percent from the field for the contest while limiting Fordham to 40 percent shooting on the game.

The Colonial women dominated with strength and speed. GW outscored the Lady Rams 46-12 in the paint. On the fast break, the Colonial women tallied 23 points, while not allowing Fordham to score a single point on a fast break.

Noelia Gomez put in a solid performance, tallying 10 points and recording game-highs in rebounds with nine and steals with five. Petra Dubovcova was 7 of 13 from the field, scoring 15 points and grabbing six boards. Other Colonial women scoring in double figures were Mandisa Turner with 13 points and Marlo Egleston with 10 points.