Colonial men lose, women tie JMU in swimming meet

In a meet it swept last season, the GW men lost and the women tied in swimming and diving action against James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., Sunday.

The Colonial men lost 134-95, while the women finished knotted up at 121 apiece.

In the men’s event, GW managed six first-place finishes. The lone double-winner for the men was Jeremy Hoders in diving. He won the one-meter and three-meter events with scores of 249.675 and 276.15, respectively.

Juan Bocanegra took the 200-yard butterfly (1:55.55), while Tim Champney won the 200-yard backstroke (1:50.13) and Mike Cottone earned a victory in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:07.33). In the 400-yard freestyle relay, Rich DeWet, Wes Mangles, Joe Corallo and Juan Bocanegra combined for the win (3:09.96).

The Colonial women fared better than the men overall, including victories in seven events. Jennifer Skinner was the only female swimmer to earn multiple wins. She placed first in both the 200-yard freestyle (1:56.20) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:05.29).

Jocelyn Finch took the 400-yard individual medley (4:34.79), Rachel Smith won the 100-yard butterfly (:59.67) and Lynne McCormick placed first in the one-meter diving event (223.425). In the 200-yard medley relay, Smith, Robin Bolstad, Dena Hoffman and Kristen Janeczek combined for victory. Bolstad, Janeczek, Smith and Brandyn Roark rounded out the first-place finishers with a win the in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

Both teams are back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in the Smith Center pool.