State of the Union – Staff editorial

Tuesday night, Bill Clinton became the first president to deliver a State of the Union address while defending himself in an impeachment trial. Clinton told the nation that the state of our union is “strong” only hours after his lawyers told the 100 senators sitting in judgment of the president that the case against Clinton is weak. The president’s major announcements focused on the aging population and the effects it has on government retirement programs. While commentators opined that Clinton has co-opted many of what previously were Republican ideas, he addressed what are real concerns for millions of Americans. That transcends political labeling.

One of Clinton’s biggest announcements was about Social Security. Clinton proposed that two-thirds of the federal surplus for the next 15 years go into the Social Security fund. That translates into $2.7 trillion. Part of that money – about 25 percent – would be invested in bulk in the stock market by an independent government board in hopes of getting greater returns. The idea is not as sweeping as some Republicans’ calls for the complete privatization of Social Security, but it is a radical change from the way the fund has been managed for the past six decades.

Clinton said his spending plan would keep Social Security solvent until 2054 and Medicare through 2020. The rest of the money from the surpluses would go toward strengthening Medicare, the nation’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled; new government-subsidized retirement savings accounts; military spending; and other domestic programs.

Most of Clinton’s proposals are just that – proposals. With the control of Congress – and perhaps his political future – in the hands of the Republicans, Clinton is dependent on bipartisan cooperation if any of his plans are ever to reach fruition. The address was low on sweeping rhetoric and filled with issues that concern middle-of-the-road voters. Clinton may be an impeached president, but the proposals he raised address serious issues that Congress consider in a careful and nonpartisan way, if that is still possible after the divided impeachment debate. Some issues are apolitical; Congress should not squander an opportunity to affect real change for Americans just to score a few partisan points.