Grant will expand Homecoming events

The Program Board has received an extra $10,000 grant to expand this year’s Homecoming festivities to include men’s and women’s basketball games and a weeklong series of campus activities, said PB Executive Chair Brian Nathanson.

“I’ve received an extra $10,000 from (Vice President of Academic and Support Services Robert Chernak’s) office and an additional amount is going to the student Senate for approval,” said Student Association President Carrie Potter.

Potter said she hopes the SA will vote on the measure by Tuesday.

Spirit Week activities begin with a GW women’s basketball game against St. Bonaventure Jan. 24.

Nathanson said a PB committee and a representative from the SA began planning events last October.

“This year we are incorporating the women’s team into the events,” said PB Parties Chair Shreema R. Sanghvi. “Rather than having a four-day event like last year, it will last eight days.”

PB organizers said they hope to draw a large student turnout with a series of new events beginning with a tentatively scheduled Monday night movie.

PB is calling Tuesday “Swing Night,” and will include free swing lessons followed by a dance at 8 p.m. at the Mount Vernon College gymnasium. King James and the Serfs of Swing will provide the music.

For the first time, the PB will host “Ice Skating on the Quad.”

“We are having an actual ice rink assembled on the quad that will remain there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday,” Nathanson said.

He also said students will have an ample selection of snacks to choose from and can borrow skates.

Before the men’s basketball game Jan. 31 against Fordham, students can attend a black-tie optional dinner and dance Jan. 30 at the Sphinx Club at 1315 K St. `Mr. and Ms. GW’ will also be crowned at the dinner. Nomination forms are available in the PB office on the fourth floor of the Marvin Center.

In addition to the weeklong events, Sanghvi said students can perform community service at the Marvin Center by writing letters to children in the hospital.

“I expect (Homecoming) to be a great success because this year both the scheduling and the events are great,” Sanghvi said.

“I think students will be very happy with this year’s event. It is a good opportunity to get into school spirit,” Nathanson said.