Williams College retains current fees

(U-WIRE) WILLIAMSTOWN, MASS. – Tuition, room and board, and other expenses for the 2000-2001 academic year at Williams College will remain at this year’s level.

The board of trustees announced next year’s tuition last week, deciding that the college’s current financial situation made it possible to keep tuition constant, said Jim Kolesar, director of public affairs at Williams College.

Our financial position seemed to allow us to hold the fee level constant and to maintain the level and ambition of programs, as well as to maintain need-blind admissions, Kolesar said.

A year’s expenses at Williams College, including room and board, total $31,520.

In the past, Williams followed the trend set by other highly competitive educational institutions, annually raising tuition by anywhere from 3.5 percent to more than 5 percent.

Kolesar said regardless of the tuition freeze, the number of applications is expected to remain constant.

Families that are interested in highly selective schools are not very responsive to differences in tuition, he said. It takes several thousands of dollars to make a difference.

The lack of a tuition increase will help both students with and without financial aid.

Students paying tuition in full will be spared the usual fee hike, and students receiving financial aid or taking part in the federal work-study program will continue to receive the same benefits based on their financial situation.

Kolesar emphasized the recent decision was based solely on Williams College’s financial situation, partly because of the strong stock market, and he said he expects tuition to rise again as usual the following year.

-Marla B. Kaplan, Harvard Crimson