The Bar Belle

Originally Published 01/14/99

Where: 2521 Pennsylvania Ave.
Crowd: GW students, twentysomethings and young professionals
Getting in: ID required at the bar
Prices: Food prices are average, beer is $4-$5
Food: Leaps and bounds above typical bar fare
Dancing: Possible – the bar has the music and the space
Pick-ups: Slim pickin’
Pluses: Friendly staff, great food, comfy atmosphere
Minuses: Still too new to attract a crowd

The newest addition to Foggy Bottom’s bar scene (if you can call it that) is the Foggy Dogg, snuggled between the jazz bar One Step Down and Papa John’s on Pennsylvania Avenue. The Foggy Dogg is ideally situated midway between the GW campus and the Georgetown bars, so it can be an early stop in a night of barhopping or a place to settle in for the evening. Inside, the Foggy Dogg is a mix of English pub, trendy eatery and comfy living room. Downstairs, a bar and a dozen or so tables serve diners. The Bar Belle was impressed with the appetizers – a plate of homemade potato chips smothered in melted bleu cheese was especially tasty. A juicy burger served with garlic mashed potatoes is the cheapest thing on the menu in the $8 range and certainly worth it. Pasta, salads, chicken and fish occupy the higher end of the price range. The Foggy Dogg also has daily specials.

Upstairs, another bar serves patrons who have settled into the Foggy Dogg’s cushion-clad chairs for a night of live music or relaxing conversation with friends. Drink prices are average and choices on tap include some favorites – Guinness, Bass, Bud, etc. The Foggy Dogg offers live music on weekends, and the upstairs stage area is a comfortable place to spend a night taking in some local talent. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The Foggy Dogg has all the makings of a great bar, lacking only enough customers to create true atmosphere, but that may come in time. Proximity to campus, good food and cozy feel could make the Foggy Dogg a GW hot spot.