Swimming and diving teams trounce Delaware on road

The GW men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams swept the University of Delaware as the men defeated the Blue Hens 157-86 and the women won 158-85 Saturday in Newark, Del.

The men notched 12 first-place finishes while the GW women won 11 events.

In the men’s meet, sophomore Wes Teter, senior Joe Corallo and junior Juan Bocanegra posted three wins each for GW. Teter posted individual victories in the 1,000-yard freestyle (9:52) and the 100-yard freestyle (:47.11). Corallo won the 200-yard freestyle (1:45) and the 500-yard freestyle (4:53). Bocanegra placed first in both the 200-yard fly (1:59) and the 200-yard individual medley (2:00). Teter, Corallo, Bocanegra and junior Tim Champney combined to win the 400-yard freestyle relay.

The Colonial men placed first in the 400-yard medley relay with the combination of Champney, freshman Alvaro Fortuny, senior Richard DeWet and sophomore Wesley Mangles. Other first place performances on the men’s side include Tim Champney in the 50-yard freestyle (:21.84) Mike Cottone in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:08), junior Nick Hopman in the 200-yard backstroke (2:00) and sophomore Jeremy Hoders in 3-meter diving.

Junior Jennifer Skinner and senior Kristen Janeczek were both multiple winners for the Colonial women. Skinner took first place in the 500-yard freestyle (5:16) and the 1000-yard freestyle (10:41). Janeczek won the 100-yard freestyle (:53.99) and the 200-yard freestyle (1:56). Janeczek also combined with senior Robin Bolstad, junior Rachel Smith and sophomore Brandyn Roark for a first-place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

The Colonial women received individual victories from Bolstad in the 50-yard freestyle (:25.49), freshman Jocelyn Finch in the 200-yard individual medley (2:14), freshman Stephanie Huff in the 200-yard backstroke (2:10), senior Dena Hoffman in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:27.61) and sophomore Lynne McCormack in the one-meter diving event. Nell Friar, Huff, Hoffman and Roark combined to take first place in the 400-yard individual medley.

The two teams are back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. in College Park, Md., when they compete in a tri-meet with the University of Maryland and Villanova University.