Dakota returns to on-campus housing lottery

The Dakota apartment building will return to the roster of available campus housing for the fall 1999 semester, but only will be available to students who maintain a 2.5 grade point average, said Mark Levine, assistant dean of students.

The Dakota, at 2100 F St., will serve as a lower-cost living facility for upperclassmen, Levine said. The building previously served as on-campus housing, but has been off the lottery system for two years.

The Community Living and Learning Center has 109 spaces available in two- or three-person apartments, Levine said. Each of these spots will be included in the upcoming student housing lottery.

The apartments, which range in price from $5,510 to $6,050 per person for an academic year, are equipped with a kitchen and basic cable television service. But Dakota residents will not have weekly room cleaning and computer networking capabilities like other residence halls, which allows the rooms to be offered at a lower price.

The Dakota will not house community facilitators or community directors. Residents will be required to meet a minimum grade point average of 2.5 and must have no judicial affairs violations on their record.

Residence Hall Association President Justin Lavella said the Dakota will host a new Living and Learning Program called “Leaders Excelling at Dakota,” or LEAD, aimed at developing leadership skills and opportunities for students involved in at least one on-campus activity.

“The RHA is ecstatic to have another building added to the lottery system,” Lavella said. “Hopefully, the addition of the Dakota will prove to be a valuable option for students.”