Holiday activities on Ellipse spread festive spirit

With thermometers boasting temperatures in the 70s and T-shirts replacing turtlenecks, you may need an extra shove to get into the festive spirit this year. The National Christmas Tree Lighting, the Christmas Pageant of Peace and the Menorah Lighting could add the oomph you need to get into the holiday mood.

On Wednesday, the National Christmas Tree will be lit for the 75th year. Since Calvin Coolidge created the idea of a community Christmas tree for all Americans, a ceremony has been held on the Ellipse for the lighting of the National Christmas Tree. The tree lighting even took place during the World War II blackout.

With each year, the festivities that surround the lighting have grown. In the first year, the tree simply was lit. In 1954, the ceremony earned the name The Christmas Pageant of Peace when 27 embassies were involved in the lighting. In the same year, The Pathway of Peace, a circle of trees that represent each of the states, Washington, D.C. and each of the territories, became part of the yearly festivities. Today, the celebration includes acclaimed performers and celebrities.

This year’s ceremony features Al Roker of NBC’s “Today” as Santa Claus. Musical performers include Tony Bennett, Jose Feliciano and opera singer Leona Mitchell. Bennett is the first performer to make a second appearance at the celebration. He first performed in the 1985 celebration.

Cast members from the musical Cats, which is running at the National Theatre, also will sing at the ceremony. The U.S. Air Force Band, whose presence adds a patriotic flair to the lighting, will perform as will The Paul Hill Chorale.

President Clinton will light the tree, a 40-foot Colorado blue spruce. The tree will be illuminated by 100,000 holiday lights and topped with a three-dimensional, four-diamond star. The National Christmas Tree and the trees on The Pathway of Peace will remain lit until Jan. 1.

On Dec. 13, the first day of Hanukkah, a large menorah will be lit. The menorah sits on the northwest corner of the Ellipse. Entertainment usually follows the lighting, and latkas, jelly donuts and other treats will be available to celebrate the Festival of Light.

The celebrations always are spectacular and could get anyone in the mood for the holidays, even if you have to wear shorts to the ceremonies.