GW towers over Arkansas with height

The GW women’s basketball team doesn’t have the most imposing inside players in the nation, but the Colonial women had a definite edge in height going into Saturday’s game against Arkansas.

The Lady Razorbacks started just one player over 6-0 with 6-1 Karyn Karlin, their leading scorer, injured. GW had three starters over 6-2 and brought 6-4 Khadija Deas off the bench in the victory.

The Colonial women turned their height advantage into offensive and defensive production. GW’s four tallest players – Deas, Noelia Gomez, Petra Dubovcova and Mandisa Turner – accounted for 53 of GW’s 74 points and shot a combined 19 of 27 from the field. The four six-footers also got to the free throw line and converted, hitting 14 of their 17 foul shots.

GW’s inside players accounted for just four blocks, but Arkansas rarely penetrated or made entry passes because of GW’s presence in the paint. They helped hold Arkansas to under 32 percent shooting for the game and limited Arkansas’ post players to just three field goals.

“They (the Colonial women) were good on defense, I give them a lot of credit, but still at the same time, we can’t be scared,” Arkansas point guard Amy Wright said. “I mean, yeah, they were about a head taller than each and every one of us, but if you’ve got an open shot you’ve got to have the confidence in yourself to shoot it. I think maybe we’re little bit intimidated by their height.”

“We just felt if we could contain them in our pressure and then go into our match-up zone and keep them in front of us, that our size would wear them out,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said.

Gomez and Deas led the charge with a pair of double-doubles in points and rebounds. Deas’ play was particularly amazing considering it was just her third game back after suffering from a herniated disk in her back.

“It just feels good to be back, even if I didn’t have a game like this,” Deas said.