Cultures collide at Georgetown’s Little Caf?

Originally Published 12/03/98

The Little Caf? at 3314 M St. in Georgetown is known for its speedy delivery and a menu that caters to vegetarians and meat-lovers alike with fresh homemade items ranging from calzones to hummus to gyro sandwiches.

But what is today a popular northwest Washington eatery began three years ago as an ice cream parlor.

Cemal Altayli, the restaurant’s owner, emigrated from Turkey in 1995 with the intention of pursuing a master’s degree in the United States. But the cost of an American education was too high, so instead, Altayli and his wife, Hulya,

decided to open their own restaurant.

Altayli said the restaurant is popular with late-night Georgetown bar-hoppers, who appreciate the late hours and fast service that The Little Caf? provides.

“Our location is great for the people who want a quick healthy bite for not a lot of money,” Altayli said.

The restaurant is expanding its service into Foggy Bottom, becoming a popular place for GW students to grab a quick bite.

Most students throughout the Georgetown and Foggy Bottom area choose to have The Little Caf?’s cuisine delivered.

For junior Kate Hohman, who said she orders from the restaurant at least once a week, The Little Caf? is the answer for lunch.

“I have never been disappointed with Little Caf?,” she said. “If I didn’t know about it, I’d probably go hungry most of the time.”

The extended delivery hours attract student customers from American and Georgetown universities, and GW – a clientele that essentially keeps the business alive.

The Little Caf? delivers until 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights and until 1 a.m. the rest of the week.

And starting this semester, the restaurant accepts GWorld debit points, a move intended to build a stronger customer base of GW students.

Slowly, the GW community is discovering The Little Caf? and with its discovery comes an influx of late-night orders.

The opening of the Whitehurst Freeway – the highway that connects Georgetown and Foggy Bottom – has allowed the delivery drivers to cut their travel time in half.

Altayli said Little Caf? workers take pride in their light menu and convenient hours. They enjoy serving the GW community and hope to expand their services to both GW student groups and University departments.

In addition to the dine-in, carry-out, and delivery services, The Little Caf? offers a catering menu. The restaurant has catered events held by the Turkish Student Association and it hopes to affiliate with such groups as the Arab Club, Muslim Students Association, the classics department, and GW Friends of Israel.

Altayli said Georgetown students make up most of his clientele, even though he has geared much of his efforts toward GW. He sees both schools as great sources of business, but feels that Georgetown students are more apt to frequent the nearby restaurant.

“We can reach GW in just as much time and allow them to use their prepaid debit points,” he said. “My drivers enjoy delivering to the GW students, and I know they enjoy ordering from us.”