Colonial women triumph at Seton Hall Invitational

Noelia Gomez is back.

The all-American candidate dominated opponents and was named the Most Valuable Player of the Pals/Mayfair Farms Invitational at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J. last weekend.

Gomez led GW (4-1) to a 89-61 win over Bowling Green University Friday and a 74-51 victory over Seton Hall University in the championship game Saturday.

Gomez – playing in her second game since returning from a knee injury she sustained in late October – paced the Colonial women in scoring, averaging 22.5 points per game, and rebounds with seven per game. She connected on 15 of 25 field goal attempts, including two of three from three-point range.

Guard Elisa Aguilar and forward Petra Dubovcova were named to the all-tournament team. Aguilar averaged 10.5 points and 5.5 assists in the wins, while Dubovcova averaged 11 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists on the weekend.

Senior center Khadija Deas played her first games of the season, notching 7.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and a block per contest. Deas recovered from a herniated disk in her back, an injury she suffered in October.

GW will face the University of Arkansas at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Smith Center.

GW 74, Seton Hall 51

The Colonial women controlled both halves of play in defeating host Seton Hall 74-51 in the championship game of the invitational Saturday.

GW jumped out to a 37-21 first-half lead behind strong performances by Noelia Gomez, who scored 16 points by halftime, and Elisa Aguilar, who tallied seven points by the break.

Seton Hall (2-3) cut the Colonial women’s lead to 13 with under 11 minutes remaining in the contest but failed to get closer.

Gomez finished with game-highs of 26 points and nine rebounds. She scored on 10 of her 15 field goal attempts and five of eight free-throw attempts.

GW statistically dominated Seton Hall. The Colonial women shot 56 percent for the game while holding the Pirates to 34 percent shooting. GW connected on five of 14 three-point attempts, pulled down 37 rebounds and dished 20 assists as a team. Seton Hall made only one of 10 three-point tries, grabbed 34 boards and tallied just 10 assists.

Guards Corrin Reid and Marlo Egleston played well off the bench for the Colonial women. Reid scored seven points, tying her career-high, and notched career bests in assists with six and blocks with three. Egleston scored eight points, hitting three of four field goal attempts and two of three from beyond the arc in her first game back after a four-game suspension by the NCAA for playing with professionals during the summer.

GW 89, Bowling Green 61

The Colonial women took a big lead early and went on to rout Bowling Green 89-61 in the first round of the Seton Hall Invitational Friday.

GW burst out to a 48-25 halftime lead and cruised against the Falcons.

The Colonial women were led by a balanced scoring attack – four of GW’s starters scored 12 or more points in the game.

Noelia Gomez led GW’s attack, tallying a team-high 19 points on 5-of-10 shooting and made six steals. Elisa Aguilar scored 14 points and dished out six assists while Petra Dubovcova added 14 points, and Chasity Myers tallied 12 points.

The Colonial women shot 44 percent from the field and connected on five of nine three-point attempts. The Falcons out-rebounded GW 43-38, but shot only 40 percent from the field.