Club Sports Roundup

Taekwondo

The GW taekwondo club competed in Gentle East’s ninth annual Captain’s Cup Tournament three weeks ago.

In the white/yellow belt division, Christina Bowles took second place in forms and sparring. Thomas Pingel and Ryan Sutton took third in sparring.

In the green/blue belt division, Andrea Bobick placed second in sparring. Maria Lopez took second in forms and first in sparring. Jim Nix placed first in both forms and sparring

In the black belt division, Justin Veazey placed third in sparring.

Quentin Black and Chuck Buhs also competed for GW.

Badminton

The GW badminton club competed at the D.C. Open Nov. 13-15 at the University of Maryland.

In women’s singles Chrissy Carmody won her division, while Diep Tran and Holly Raiter made the quarterfinals in their divisions. In doubles, Carmody and Raiter made the quarterfinals.

In men’s singles, Azlan Abdal Rahman took second place in his division. Dondi Chiongbian and Peter Su made the semifinals of their divisions, and Ravi Raghupathi, Syed F. Syed Farooq and Adly Yacob made the quarterfinals. Farooq and Yacob earned second place in their division. Rahman and Robin Kambe made the semifinals, while the teams of Chiongbian and Su and Brian Gralnick and Fazil Baharudin made the quarterfinals.

In mixed doubles play, Carmody and Su made the semifinals, while Diep Tran and Kambe and the team of Raiter and Farooq played their way into the quarterfinals.

Men’s rugby

The GW rugby club finished its season by losing both matches at the Potomac Rugby Union matrix tournament. After a first-round loss to Frostburg State University, GW played in the losers’ bracket for a chance to earn a match for third place. The club played St. Mary’s College and lost in a close match, 7-0.

GW finished in sixth place overall.

The GW ice hockey club has taken the lead of the Southern Division of the Mason-Dixon Collegiate Hockey League with an 8-0 record. GW’s most recent victories came over the U.S. Naval Academy and Georgetown University Dec. 13 and 14.

Point leaders include junior Tej Datta (10), junior Matt Schliftman (9), senior Ryan Kilstein (8) and graduate student Derek Young (7).

The club will play its next game Jan. 10 in Annapolis, Md. against Navy.