Enemy of the State excites viewers with endless action

An action-packed flick with corruption, murder and redemption, Enemy of the State (Touchstone) takes Will Smith another step away from his days on “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

Smith (Men in Black) portrays Robert Clayton Dean, a D.C. attorney who suddenly finds himself involved in a web of deceit surrounding the murder of a prestigious politician.

Thomas Brian Reynolds (Jon Voight, Mission: Impossible), an intelligence officer with the National Security Agency, is responsible for the death. Reynolds plans to conceal the crime to profit from a privacy bill that is in the works. But everything goes wrong when the murder accidentally is caught on videotape. In desperation, the NSA frantically tries to confiscate the tape before it is released to the public.

While Christmas shopping for his wife and son, Dean runs into an old college friend from Georgetown University. He has the tape and surreptitiously passes it to Dean. When the NSA. realizes who has the tape, its plans to recover it focus entirely on Dean.

The amount of technology used by the NSA in Enemy of the State is incredible. In order to keep track of Dean’s every move, the agency bugs his house, taps his phone and places listening devices in his clothing, including the soles of his shoes. The NSA inserts video cameras in his home and even cancels his credit cards. Through satellite technology, it can track down Dean in seconds. It is a group of hunters and Dean is its prey.

The only way for Dean to escape this mess is with the help of former intelligence operative Brill (Gene Hackman, Crimson Tide). Smith and Hackman are an unstoppable duo. Their chemistry closely resembles the relationship of Smith and Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black. Hackman offers guidance to Smith, while Smith provides spurts of comical genius throughout the movie.

A race-against-the-clock film, Enemy of the State proves Smith is an established action actor. He charms the audience but does not stray too far from his comical side. Another highlight of the film is a blockbuster cast of familiar faces, such as Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects), Lisa Bonnet (“The Cosby Show”), Regina King (How Stella Got Her Groove Back) and Jamie Kennedy (Scream).

Enemy of the State thrives with its talented lead actors and exquisite supporting cast. The film is packed with drama, action and adventure, leaving the audience wanting more.

Enemy of the State opens Friday.