Trachtenberg to serve on Williams’ transition team

GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg was appointed by D.C. Mayor-elect Anthony Williams to assist him as he takes over the city’s leadership next year.

“I helped out with the transition in the last (Marion) Barry administration,” Trachtenberg said. “It’s not a new thing.”

Trachtenberg said he is unsure of his role on Williams’ transition team. He is serving under honorary chairpersons such as former Kansas senator and 1996 presidential candidate Robert Dole, and Fannie Mae chief executive Franklin Raines.

Trachtenberg said GW has always worked with the city government to benefit the local community.

“I hope we continue to do good things for the city and receive appreciation for what we do,” he said. “That encourages us to do even more.”

Trachtenberg said he is excited about the Williams administration and said it will be different from the current city government.

“I think Marion Barry brought a lot of passion to government,” Trachtenberg said. “Williams will bring a professionalism that comes from past bureaucratic experience and a legal education that is distinguished.”

Williams, who defeated D.C. Council member Carol Schwartz Nov. 3, previously served as D.C.’s chief financial officer.

-Matt Berger