Colonial men and women win at La Salle

The GW men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had an easy time in their meets Saturday, convincingly beating La Salle. The men won 134-102, and the women won 138-102.

The women’s team won nine of the 13 total events. The team was led by junior Jessica Skinner, who took first in the 200-yard (1 :55.13) and 500-yard (5:05.30) freestyles.

Senior Kristen Janeczek and junior Rachel Smith won first and second place in the 100-yard freestyle. The GW women had a clean sweep in the 200-yard butterfly, as senior Dena Hoffman, senior Erin Sheumaker and freshman Laura Najjar took first, second and third place. GW also had the top two finishers in the 200-yard breaststroke, as freshman Nell Friar and Hoffman took first and second.

Freshmen Suzanne Grega (2.08.53) and Jocelyn Finch (2:12.55) took first in the 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley, respectively.

Not to be outdone, the men’s team also performed well, winning 11 of the 13 total events. The team was led by juniors Juan Bocanegra and Tim Champney and sophomore Wes Teter. Bocanegra took first in both the 200-yard individual medley (1:55.51) and butterfly (1:55.38). Champney won the 50-yard freestyle (:21.46) and the 200-yard backstroke (1 :49.75), while Teter took first in the 500-yard (4:40.26) and 1,000-yard (9:56.82) freestyles. Sophomore Mike Cottone and senior Richard DeWet also took first in their respective events, the 200-yard breaststroke and the 100-yard freestyle.

The GW men and women also each took first in all four relay races.

GW’s only diving victory went to sophomore Jeremy Hoders, who took first in the one-meter springboard.

GW is scheduled to compete in the Potomac Classic Friday and Saturday. The swimming events will be held at American University and the diving will be at Georgetown University.