Students call for GW women’s center

A new student group working to create a women’s center at GW has met roadblocks in its search for a location for the facility.

The newly formed student group, GW Women’s Center, “will give women a place to voice their concerns, socialize with other women, achieve academic growth and self-confidence and secure peace and solitude,” according to the proposal from the center.

Members of the GW Women’s Center said they intend to accomplish their mission by planning events such as weekly teas and coffees, poetry readings and discussions, and workshops that focus on women’s health and violence against women.

The GW Women’s Center has submitted a proposal to the Community Living and Learning Center requesting the use of one of the Strong Hall study lounges house their functions. But CLLC administrators said space constraints prevent them from giving up the lounge in Strong Hall.

“Space is at a premium right now on campus,” Assistant Dean of Students Mark Levine said. “The Strong Hall study lounge is often requested by student groups. Typically, however, the study lounge is not for use by groups outside of Strong. We have to be sensitive to other student groups and departments.”

Levine said another concern is the lack of study space available on campus.

“We’ve heard from the hall council that they want to have as much study space as they can,” Levine said.

Heather Hurwitz, a member of GW Women’s Center, said its members designed a plan that will encompass designated study times to accommodate residents. She also said Strong Hall has more than one lounge.

Hurwitz said she has tried to contact members of the Strong Hall council but none of her calls were returned. She also said she was discouraged by CLLC from communicating with the hall’s residents.

“It’s not like it’s going to be a crazy raucous party zone,” Hurwitz said. “We’re willing to compromise to make sure the Strong Hall residents have quiet hours and study hours.”

Strong Hall Community Director Anna Cenatiempo declined to comment.

Levine said he recognizes the need for a women’s center but does not see it as feasible now.

“I think the women’s resource center is a wonderful idea, but right now it’s in the hands of the women’s studies department to look for another space on campus,” he said. “Mount Vernon may also be an idea for them. Not to say that this isn’t going to happen, but now is an especially tough time with renovations in the Marvin Center.”

Ruthie Vishlitzky, another member of the group, said she feels the administration needs to work on the issue now.

“I just have this feeling that the administration is trying to buy time to get us to give up, but we’re not going to give up,” Vishlitzky said.

Hurwitz said she does not feel location for a women’s center must be limited to space in Strong Hall.

“We’re not aware of any space in the Marvin Center,” Hurwitz said. “We don’t just want an office space. That’s not our goal. I mean if they want to give us a nice big space in the Marvin Center, we’d be hip to that groove.”

Bonnie Morris, the adviser of the GW Women’s Center and a women’s studies professor, said she feels some people do not realize the benefits such a facility would bring to campus.

“There’s an assumption here that everything is fine and that women don’t need this. That’s a misunderstanding,” Morris said.

Hurwitz and Vishlitzky said they feel the creation of a women’s center is long overdue.

“So many other universities already have this,” Hurwitz said. “It’s time for GW to get on the bandwagon and get a women’s center.”

Members of the GW Women’s Center said the facility will be open to both men and women.

“It’s open membership,” Hurwitz said. “We do not discriminate against anybody, but the focus is on women. It’s open to anyone to participate in and have a leadership position in. It’s based on women’s empowerment and any support we can get, we welcome.”