News briefs

Students complain about breakfast bar hours

Changes in the operating hours of J Street’s breakfast bar have prompted mixed reactions from students.

Dawn’s Best, the station at J Street that serves breakfast food all day, originally was scheduled to be open until midnight. Recently however, the breakfast station has closed as late as 7 p.m. on some days and as early as 2 p.m. on others.

Some students said they want GW to establish opening and closing times for Dawn’s Best.

“It is very inconsistent,” sophomore Dave Merrill said. “It’s like playing a guessing game.”

Chris Voss, chair of the Student Association’s Dining Services Commission, said the breakfast station operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and closes at 2 p.m. Friday. Voss said the station closes early because students did not purchase food there in the evenings.

“Students don’t eat breakfast past 7 p.m.,” Voss said. “On Friday, there are not that many students on campus.”

Voss also said the section closes earlier because Dawn’s Best does not offer variety in its menu.

“I wish they would change the food more often,” sophomore Kehinde Powell said. “It is not always cooked.”

“The same food sits there all day,” junior Jason Anklowitz said.

Voss said GW is considering changes to Dawn’s Best.

“One plan is to close the station at 2 p.m. and re-open for dinner,” he said.

The dinner menu would change as well, Voss said. He said Dawn’s Best might serve fried fish and Chinese food during the evening hours.

-Preethy Kolinjivadi

ABC’s Cokie Roberts visits GW Bookstore

Cokie Roberts, ABC News correspondent and co-host of “This Week with Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts,” gave a short speech and signed copies of her new book, We Are Our Mothers’ Daughters, Monday at the GW Bookstore.

cokie

“It is nice to be at a student bookstore and to be able to talk to younger people, especially younger women,” Roberts said. “I essentially wrote this book for younger women.

“It’s not even about mothers and daughters. It’s about women in history,” she said.

About 50 people, mostly female, attended the event. Some students said they came for their mother’s sake.

“This is my mother’s favorite woman so I wanted to get her autograph,” freshman Neeli Vasa said.

“My mom is a fan and this would be a neat gift,” junior Molly Lourie said.

Other young women attended because they wanted to meet Roberts. Graduate student Kristina Gordon read the book and said she was excited to have it signed.

“It is comforting to know that this generation is not alone,” Gordon said. “We have a lot we can learn from the past.”

Roberts said she feels “the solace of female friendship is something that we don’t celebrate enough.”

The subjects of Roberts’ books are women in her life, such as her mother, friends and successful women whom she interviewed over the years.

Roberts said she was excited to be at GW, where her husband Steven Roberts is a political communication professor.

-Emily Coghlan

Hillel hosts `Shiur Madness’

Hillel’s Emes program will host “Shiur Madness III” next week to promote Jewish education and spirituality on campus, said Mat Slatkin, Emes president.

The programs discuss Jewish views on a variety of controversial issues.

A local rabbi will discuss the afterlife with students at Hillel Nov. 17. The program is entitled “Dead Man Walking” and will start at 8 p.m.

Students will lead a discussion on the sanctity of life and the issues of abortion and euthanasia at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18 in Marvin Center room 5C.

A Georgetown rabbi and GW professor will lead a discussion on Judaism and the environment at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 in Marvin Center room 5B.

The Nov. 20 event will focus on whether man was created in God’s image. It will begin at 5 p.m. at Hillel.

Emes, which means truth in Hebrew, also will sponsor a Shabbos service and lunch Nov. 21. Services will begin at 9 a.m., and lunch will begin at noon.

The week will kick off with an event Monday at which students can make their own havdalah candle.

All events are free and open to the public. Lunch costs $5 and requires an R.S.V.P.

-Matt Berger

MSA hosts Islam Awareness Week

The Muslim Students Association is sponsoring a variety of events this week in celebration of Islam Awareness Week.

Thursday night’s Board of Chaplains dinner is designed to unify the board and provide an atmosphere for conversation. The members will discuss the achievements and shortcomings of Religion Week.

Friday night, MSA will host a coffeehouse social at Riverside Caf? for Muslim and non-Muslim students to interact.

Islam Awareness Week is an important way to bring the issues facing Muslim students into the open, especially because Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, MSA President Ali Husain said.

“We want to bring awareness and educate the population about the tenets of Islam,” Husain said.

-Alan Boal

D.C. board reviews ANC results

The D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics is reviewing the results of the local Advisory Neighborhood Commission elections after numerous voters complained that they received the wrong ballot, said Ed Meinert, a GW junior and ANC candidate who was defeated last week.

Meinert said he was contacted by the board’s director and general counsel, and the board is reviewing the election ballot by ballot. Meinert claimed that many Thurston Hall residents, located in single-member district 2A05, received ballots for a different district. Other candidates also said they believed residents in their districts may have received wrong ballots, invalidating the election.

Steven Mandelbaum, who ran as a write-in candidate in district 2A06 and lost by only a handful of votes, said he also has asked for a re-count.

“I feel worst case scenario, they will redo (2A06), and the best case scenario they will redo all of them,” Meinert said. “They’re going to have no choice.”

The D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics did not return calls Wednesday because of the Veterans Day holiday. The board is expected to make a ruling before Friday, when elections are scheduled to be certified.

-Matt Berger