Colonials finish second out of 10 teams in fall finale

The GW golf team ended its fall season on a high note, finishing second in a field of 10 teams last weekend at the Caves Valley Collegiate Invitational in Owing Mills, Md.

The Colonials took second in the 36-hole, par-71 tournament with an overall score of 639 (71-over). Temple placed first with an overall score of 616 (48-over). GW also managed to finish higher than the fourth-place Villanova team (650, 82-over), which had beaten GW for second place by two shots a month ago at the Stabler Collegiate Invitational.

“It felt good to get some revenge at some of the teams that had beaten us earlier in the year,” GW head coach Scott Allen said. “Teams like Villanova will have to look at us a little closer now.”

Freshman Tim Blankvoort and sophomore Ryan Day led GW with scores of 156 and 158, respectively. Both players finished among the top-10 individual scorers in a field of 50 players. Bryan Derdenger, Tim Derdenger and Gavin Parsons, the other starters for GW, finished with scores of 163, 164 and 167, respectively.

“Blankvoort hit the ball as good as he has all year for us, and I’m extremely happy about that,” Allen said. “The twins played decently, but they’re at the point where they expect to hit in the low-to-mid 70s every tournament. They didn’t this time and probably got frustrated with themselves.”

With this finish, which mostly was against District II teams, the Colonials finished with a record of 45-10 in their district and 55-46 overall. The team will find out if it is in the district’s top 10 – which was its goal for the fall season – when the final standings come out in a few weeks.